Tuesday, May 26, 2009

:: born to run? ::

I'm not. I don't have any natural talent whatsoever when it comes to running. A question I have been asking myself lately is...Why do i subject myself to a torment of training for and running a marathon? Why don't I do something that I have natural affinity for?

I'm not sure. I'm a sucker? Sucker for pain? I used to be one of those girls in school that would do anything to get out of phys ed. I convinced my GP that the nagging ache I felt in my knee would prevent me from any form of phys ed and for four years I sat out in the shade reading while everything else ran in the field.

Today, I'm a whole different person. I get out of bed at 6am and I'm pounding on the sidewalks by 630am. I like the new me - even though my body was not precisely engineered for this. And I will complete a marathon, at least once in my life. Because I like the challenge and I like knowing that I can exercise discipline and hard work to get results otherwise unachievable.

And you know what - it's also for very practical reasons one should stay fit and be able to run fast and long distances. Ever watch those end-of-the-world movies? If an asteroid ever came crashing down on San Francisco, I wanna be one of those that can literally run for my life.

Not born to run, but definitely born to live.

2 comments:

sctemplar3 said...

go jo!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i started my rinky dink blog so i could get going in an organized way like you! you're an inspiration!

http://rachel421-intermittentfasting.blogspot.com