Monday, December 29, 2008

:: conditioning milestones ::

The last time I hiked Mission Peak it was July 27th (Day 42 of the health journey) and it took me 1:28:34 to ascend the 2200 ft (2.8 mi one-way).

Mission Peak hasn't changed much since then but I have! So we decided to hike up again yesterday and test our conditioning levels. The whole way up, I just kept telling myself - do your personal best, do your personal best. It was still frigging tough, but I forced myself to put one foot in front of the other. I stopped for no rest until just before the final peak ascent and boy am I proud of us! We made it up in 1:09:43, our personal best ever! I guess it does help that I'm lugging up alot less body weight now but still, my heart felt strong and great. Burnt 900 calories on the way up maintaining an average heart rate of 173 and maxing out at 183.


We're going to be doing MP alot more often now to train for our 4- day classic inca trail hike next year. Hopefully we'll get to sub-hour time at some point.

feeling very accomplished. and sore. haha

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jo, congrats on mission peak :) I remember it kicking my butt the last time I did it last year too. I'll have to try again.

I just ordered the cookbook you recommended! I'm enjoying reading what you've been cooking. I'll also be sure to check out the Sunnyvale Farmers Market!

Jo said...

Thanks Thu!!

You're in the area! We should meet up sometime!